May 7, 2019
Dear Religious School Parents/Guardians,
Welcome to what promises to be an exciting year of Jewish learning and community at Congregation Beth El Religious School! Registration for the 2019-2020 school year is now open and available online. Early registration runs through Friday, June 14, and we encourage you to take advantage of the discounted tuition.
We had a great year with some exciting new initiatives! Thanks to your feedback, the 2019-2020 school year will see:
- Sunday morning Chug enrichment for K-3rd graders (9:00 – 9:40). Held before regular classes begin at 9:45, this optional offering builds upon the main curriculum through a dynamic, fun program. This program is a perfect option for anyone who has a fourth or fifth grader to drop off at 9:00 – only one drop off for your family!
- Optional midweek Chug enrichment for K-2nd graders provides an extra day of Judaic enrichment on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoons
- Continuation of our new and innovative Hebrew Workshop program for students in 3rd-6th grade. This program meets students where they are and allows them to learn in small groups at the pace that best meets their needs during their midweek afternoon classes.
- Our sixth grade program continues to evolve, with the second year of our pilot B’nai Mitzvah family program, where families explore what makes the b’nai mitzvah experience a meaningful milestone event.
- Our second cohort of the Sorkin Youth Trip to Israel will take off this December! We are thrilled that this trip, open to students who continue in the Religious School through their Confirmation Year in 10th grade, continues to become an exciting and integral part of the Beth El experience.
- New N’tivot Independent Study Option for 8th-10th grades. We have a vibrant Upper School community that meets on Tuesday evenings. Students who cannot attend regularly on Tuesday evenings will now be able to continue their Upper School experience through an independent study option, working with a faculty advisor and participating in some social programs throughout the year. These students will be eligible to participate in all tenth grade Confirmation activities, including the fall NY trip as well as the Sorkin Trip to Israel.
You may need to reference some of the following documents:
- Religious School Information Sheet – includes information about program and schedule offerings as well as tuition rates
- Chug Enrichment Program – information on all of the Chug enrichment program options for your child
- BERS Registration FAQs
If you have questions about our program or the registration process, please contact Carmen Izurieta (email@example.com or 301-652-8569 x309).
We look forward to another wonderful year of Jewish learning and experiences with you and your family!
Elisha Rothschild Frumkin, CJE
Have questions about BERS registration? Check out the Registration FAQ sheet.
Special Needs Learners
Congregation Beth El is a warm, welcoming, and inclusive community, and the Religious School strives to ensure that all students have the fullest opportunity to participate in educational activities. If you have any questions about inclusion opportunities or this questionnaire, please contact Lesli Gillman, Religious School Student Support Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Religious School office is able to help families organize carpools. Our enrollment database can be sorted by zip code, session, and grade. For assistance, please call Carmen Izurieta (email@example.com or 301-652-8569 x309).
Religious School Restricted Funds
We invite parents/guardians to make a contribution to the funds listed below, allowing us to further enrich our program. Donations can be made through the Beth El website at this link.
- The Elaine Tanenbaum Religious School Enrichment Fund enables the Religious School to take advantage of special opportunities that make the school experience more interesting, exciting, and engaging for our children. This fund has been used to pilot, sustain, and enhance such programs as the fourth-fifth grade retreat, sixth grade Brooklyn trip, conversational Hebrew instruction, family education, arts specialists, and various outside speakers who meet with our students.
- The Dr. Elaine L. Shalowitz Education Fund enables the Religious School to provide enhanced training opportunities for our teachers and administrators, as well as offer additional enrichment programs for our students.
Special Financial Arrangements
If you need to make special financial arrangements for dues and/or tuition, please contact our Executive Director, Sheila Bellack, at 301-652-2606 ext. 306, or firstname.lastname@example.org.